Welcome to Dating Reviews
Meetup Review (Meetup.com)
Meetup.com solves a question every dater has:where can I meet other eligible singles?
On Meetup.com, it couldn't be any easier. Just enter your name and email, choose a password, and you're ready to start meeting singles in your city. That's it! Other information can be added to a small site-wide profile - like hometown, gender, birthday, a photo, and a short bio - but it's all optional. Unlike the hours spent agonizing over crafting the perfect profile on traditional dating sites, Meetup lets you get straight to the fun part:meeting other singles.
To get the most out of Meetup.com, add interests to your account and opt to receive emails about new Meetups in your area that match your interests. You can also connect your Facebook with your Meetup.com account to find out what Meetups your friends have joined.
Searching the site is just as easy as joining. Your homepage features a list of Meetups happening in your city and a calendar that can be used to search for Meetups happening on a specific day. Click on "Find a Meetup Group" to browse all Groups within 50 miles of your location. You can also view Meetups your friends are attending, if your account is linked with Facebook, and Groups Meetup.com recommends for you based on your interests.
Meetup Groups can be searched by keywords or you can peruse all local Groups under the "Singles" category. There's a Group for just about every taste, interest, hobby, or inclination, just like online dating sites. Some are targeted to a specific age range and some to a specific ethnicity. Others are for LGBT singles, singles who enjoy travel, singles who are parents, professionals, baby boomers, board game enthusiasts, expatriates, and more.
When you find a group you're interested in, click "Join us!" to become a member. Some groups require Organizer approval for new members, while others allow all new members to join instantly. Fill out a Group-specific profile to share more information about yourself with other members, then start to explore what the group has to offer in its message board and mailing list. Find info on upcoming Meetups on the homepage, and click "RSVP" to sign up.
If you can't find what you're looking for, you can start your own Meetup Group. Select "Start a Meetup Group" at the top of the page and enter your location. Then choose a name, add Topics so that other members can find your Group, and fill out the Group description. You can customize the appearance of your Group's homepage by using a pre-made theme or creating a theme of your own.
Organizers must pay a small fee to keep a Group up and running on Meetup. Three Organizer Dues plans are available:$12/mo for 6 months, $15/mo for 3 months, or $19 for the month-to-month billing option. Most Organizers choose to divide the fee equally between Group members, like splitting a restaurant tab.
All other use of Meetup.com is free. Meetup does not charge members to create an account, join Meetup Groups, or attend Meetup events. If a particular Meetup has an event fee, it will be listed on the event's page. Many are free, but some - like speed dating events or singles cruises - require a payment outside of Meetup.com. Costs typically fall in the $20-$25 range for singles events.
Meetup is massive and it continues to expand. There are now 105,000 local Groups in 45,000 cities across the world. 340,000 Meetups happen monthly across 117,000 topics, and the site now has 11.1 million members. For low-key, social dating, Meetup is well worth a try.
Positives of Meetup
- Free site - no fees associated with joining or using it
- A very popular website with millions of users, over 100,000 Meetup topics, and 2 million monthly RSVPs
- The site is very easy to use and caters to a wide range of interests
Negatives of Meetup
- Although using Meetup.com is free, there may be fees associated with attending specific Meetups
- This site is not meant specifically for online dating
At a Glance
- United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, International
- English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Member Numbers:
- Cost per Month:
- Free - $30
- Membership Types:
- Free - Complete
Meetup Free Membership
- Yes (unlimited)
- Create an account
- Name, email address, password
- Optional profile info:hometown, birthday, gender, bio
- Add a photo (optional)
- Add interests (optional)
- Adding interests helps Meetup.com suggest Meetups you would be interested in
- Connect with Facebook (optional)
- See Meetups your friends are involved in
- View and join Meetups
- Search existing Meetups
- Start a Meetup Group
- View profiles and photos of other members
- Create an account
- Not included:
- All Meetup features are free to use (unless you want to start a Meetup group)
Relationship Types Allowed
Your Relationship Status
- In a Relationship
- Not Single/Not Looking
Relationships You can Look For
- Activity Partner
- Prices last confirmed March 1, 2014. Please check Meetup for most recent pricing
- Meetup does not charge to create an account, browse or join Groups, or attend Meetups
- However, Organizers are charged Organizer Dues which are often shared between Group members as Membership Dues or Event Fees
- If a Group has Dues, they will appear on the lefthand side of the Group's homepage
- Event Fees are listed on the Meetup's homepage if there is a fee to attend
- Fees typically fall in the $15-$30 range, though some are more expensive and some are free
- Most singles events are $20-$25
- Cost in US dollars to start a Meetup Group (your organization dues)
- $12/mo for 6 months (a single $72 charge)
- $15/mo for 3 months (a single $45 charge)
- $19/mo for a single month
Meetup Viewing & Communication Tools
- You may upload as many photos as you like to your personal profile
- Up to 500 photos can be added to a Meetup Group's album
- There is no limit to the number of albums a Meetup Group can have
- Site-wide profiles include only very basic information
- Within a particular Meetup Group, members can create a Group-specific profile that answers more detailed questions related to the Group's theme or interest
- Some Groups require a profile to be filled out and approved in order to become a member
- Private messaging
- Emails can be sent to other members through the site, with the option of hiding your email address
- My Groups
- Meetup Groups you are a member of
- Privacy and safety features
- Users can be reported or blocked
- Interests, Meetup Groups, and photos can be made private
- Some Group content is only visible to Group members
- Dating on Meetup
- Though Meetup is not designed as a dating site, the Singles category is one of its most popular. Hundreds of groups exist to help single members meet each other in cities across the world
- Find a singles group that appeals to you by browsing available options under the "Singles" tag. Taking the time to find a group tailored to your interests increases the chance you'll meet compatible people
- Common Meetups for singles include speed dating events, singles parties at bars and nightclubs, cocktail parties, cruises, dance classes, festivals, mixers, etc.
- Many Meetup Groups are tailored to specific age ranges or interests, like mature singles, travel enthusiasts, young professionals, and interracial dating
- Dating on Meetup doesn't have to be reserved for singles Groups. Take a chance and join any Groups that pique your curiosity - you never know where your next date might come from
- Starting your own Meetup Group
- If you don't see what you're looking for, it's easy to start your own Meetup Group
- Enter the location
- Pick a name, add topics, and write a description
- Customize the appearance of the Group's homepage
- Select an Organizer Dues plan
- Schedule your first Meetup
Search For Members By
- Meetups with friends
- Connect to Facebook to find out what Meetups your friends are attending
- Suggestions for you
- Suggested Meetups based on your location and interests
- Find out what Meetups are scheduled on a particular day in your location
- Sort by
- Most active
- Most members
Other Meetup Information
- This is not a traditional dating site, but instead is a broad social networking site
While we make every effort to ensure the accuracy and reliability of our information at webtains.us we shall not be held responsible for any discrepancy. There is a possibility that the information provided here is outdated or wrong, please check with the service directly for the most recent information. As always you should read your terms of service before purchasing a product and/or signing up to any online service. webtains.us may receive a portion of revenue if you click a link in this page and buy a product or service.
webtains.us is a resource for online dating which includes reviews for related apps and sites. We provide this service for free and instead choose to generate the income for the business from advertising and affiliate programs. We may receive advertising compensation from the sites listed on this page if you click a link and buy a product or service.