Welcome to Dating Reviews

Grindr Information, Statistics, Facts and History

Current Basic Facts

Beijing Kunlun Tech
Business Started:
Service Available On:
Apple iOS, Android
Number of Users:
27 million users (2017)


  • General Information
    • Chinese firm Kunlun Group purchased the remaining outstanding shares of Grindr for $152 million. [1]
    • Grindr founder Joel Simkhai who was CEO has left the company. [1]
    • Grindr has stated that the Chinese government does not have access to users accounts. [1]
    • In the UK, Grindr is the busiest on Sunday nights. [2]


  1. Grindr Buyout By Chinese Firm Sparks Privacy Concerns
  2. Study Reveals Which Dating Apps Are Most Popular (And Which Get Deleted First)


  • General Information
    • Grindr is the most searched for dating app in California, Maine, Nevada, Missouri, and Mississippi. [1]
    • Beijing Kunlun Tech buys the rest of Grindr (38.47%) for $152 million US dollars. [2]
    • Grindr has 27 million registered users with 30% of them from the United States. [2]
    • Full numbers have been released reporting that Beijing Kunlun Tech purchased the initial 62% of Grindr for $88 million and the other 38% for $152 million for a total of $250 million. [3]
    • Grindr had $13.7 million USD in net profit for 2014. [3]
    • According to Beijing Kunlun Tech the Chinese government will not have any access to Grindr accounts. [3]
    • All users now get push notifications automatically. It is not a premium feature anymore. [4]
    • Grindr updates app and website with new options for users who identify as transgender and gender non-conforming. Users may also choose a preferred pronoun. [5]


  1. Quantcast Map Reveals The Most Searched Dating App In Every U.S. State
  2. Grindr Sold to Beijing Kunlun Tech
  3. Chinese Gaming Giant Beijing Kunlun Tech To Buy Grindr In Full
  4. SuperSwipes, Celebrity Look-Alikes, And More Of The Week’s Biggest Dating News
  5. Grindr Update Brings Greater Gender Inclusivity To The App


  • General Information
    • Beijing Kunlun Tech buys 60% stake in Grindr. The other 40% is owned by Grindr employees and Joe Simkhai (founder). [1]
    • The total valuation of Grindr is about $155 million. [1]
    • Grindr earned about $38 million for 2015. [1]
  • Members
    • The average Grindr user spends up to 54 minutes a day on the app. [1]
    • Grindr has 2 million visitors daily. [2]
    • Grindr is most popular in the United States, followed by the UK, Mexico, Brazil and then France. [2]


  1. Dating app Grindr hooks up with Chinese gaming investor
  2. Grindr Hooks Up With Chinese Gaming Company


  • General Information
    • Rumors say that Grindr will soon be up for sale. [1]


  1. Will Grindr Soon Be Up For Sale?


  • Members
    • Brazil is the 6th-largest market for Grindr. [1]
    • Grindr user numbers have increased by 31% in Brazil since the World Cup began. [1]


  1. World Cup Fans Go Crazy for Dating Apps


  • General Information
    • Grinder has 7 million users in 192 countries. [1]
  • Members
    • The average user spends two hours per day on the app and logs in eight times daily. [1]


  1. The Top 10 Best Mobile Dating Apps in 2013 (Part I)


  • General Information
    • Some organizations have blamed Grindr for the rise in STDs like Syphilis in recent years. [1]


  1. Rise in Syphilis Blamed on Grindr


  • General Information
    • Grindr launched a mobile dating app for Blackberry phones in June. [1]
    • A straight version of Grindr is in the works now with plans to release it by the end 2010. [1]
  • Members
    • 700,000 men from 162 countries are using the Grinder App with it being the most popular in the United States and United Kingdom. [1]
    • Grindr is downloaded more than 2,000 times a day. [1]
    • Grindr has 600,000 unique users per month which about 250,000 users use it every day. These users log on approximately eight times within a 24 hour period. [2]


  1. Grindr iPhone App soon for Heterosexuals
  2. Online Dating Trends: Mobile Dating Comes Of Age


  • General Information
    • Joel Simkhai founded Grindr with $5,000. [1]


  1. Will Grindr Soon Be Up For Sale?

Return to Online Dating Statistics & Facts

More on Grindr

Related Dating Services

  • NA

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 13 2018 @ 01:21 pm| Hits: 2,171 View Printable Version